USA Rail Pass : Conditions
Payment & Ticketing
- Bookings made 31+ day prior to departure: Full payment is required 3 days from advise of confirmation.
Bookings made 30 days or less prior to departure: Full payment is required immediately.
- A coupon will be issued and is not the actual pass and is not valid for travel. It is a voucher which must be exchanged for the actual rail pass upon arrival in the USA before travel begins, within 1 year of purchase. The exchange can take place at the ticket window, in any station (but not through ticketing machines).
- The pass alone is not valid for travel. It must be accompanied by reservations for travel on the relevant trains. Reservations can be made at the station ticket windows or through Rail Europe.
- A valid passport must be presented when purchasing the pass, when using the pass to obtain tickets, and when using those tickets on board trains. Passengers are to always carry their passports
- Travel is restricted to FOUR one-way trips between two cities, and to all cities in between, over the same route.
- Youth & Seniors: no discount applies.
Important: Seat reservations (when in conjunction with a USA Rail pass) can only be made locally.
Cancellation & Amendments
- A 25% cancellation fee plus GST (only in Australia) applies. Pass must be returned to the issuing office unused and up to 7 or more days prior to the travel start date.
- Any amounts paid for rail fare differences and/or accommodations, such as sleeper cars or business class upgrades, are also subject to refund penalties.
- The USA Rail Pass is not refundable and cannot be replaced if lost, stolen or partially used.