JR Kansai Area Pass : Details
What can I use this pass for?
The JR Kansai Area Pass is valid for unlimited travel on:
- Special Rapid Services, Rapid Services, and Local trains on JR-WEST Conventional lines
- Non-reserved seats on Kansai-airport Express HARUKA
Popular rail lines:
- Tokaido, Sanyo Main Line (Yamashina-Himeji)
- Osaka Loop Line
- JR Tozai Line
- Sakurajima Line
- Katamachi Line
- Nara Line
- San-in Main Line (Kyoto-Hozukyo)
- Kansai Main Line (JR Namba-Kizu)
- Sakurai Line
- Wakayama Line (Oji-Takada)
- Hanwa Line (Tennoji-Hineno)
- Kansai Airport Line
- Osaka Higashi Line.
- 'Shinkansen' bullet trains cannot be used with a JR Kansai Area Pass.
Separate Express Tickets are required (at an additional cost locally) for the following:
- Reserved seats on Kansai-airport Express HARUKA
- Both Reserved and Non-reserved seats on Express Trains excluding Kansai-airport Express HARUKA
- Validity: 1, 2, 3 or 4 consecutive days.
- Available in Ordinary (Standard) Class only.
- Adult & child fares
This pass is not valid for travel on Shinkansen super express trains.
- When boarding trains such as a limited express or express train, it will be necessary to pay additional charges on top of the pass price (this can only be done locally).
- Pass holders can reserve seats in Japan, after exchanging their pass.
- To make a reservation, rail pass holders must go to any Travel Service Center or a Reservation Office at a JR station, or to the sales office of a JR associated travel agency.
- Seat reservations are free of charge.
- For non-reserved seats, passengers just present their JR Kansai Area Pass.
Seat reservations are particularly difficult to secure during the following times:
- December 25th to January 5th: The New Year holiday period is the most popular travel time for Japanese people, for vacations and returns to hometowns areas.
- April 29th to May 5th: There is a large-scale of travel throughout Japan for leisure and recreation.
- August 13th to 15th: Another time for traditional travel to hometown areas, called the Obon season.
Rail Plus will issue an exchange voucher which must be presented in Japan, at any JR Station that has a Japan Rail Pass Exchange Office. You will receive two Exchange Order vouchers labelled A and B (located in top right hand corner) which must be presented locally within 3 months of issue date. At that time you must specify the date you want to start using the Pass. It can be any date within one month of the date the JR Kansai Area Pass is exchanged.
Important: At the time of exchange you will be asked to fill out a short application form and show your passport with the temporary visitor stamp that you would have received on entry into Japan. You must have your passport with you at the time of the exchange. A photocopy is not acceptable and without your passport the exchange cannot be made.